Kids can capture this time in history and preserve a bit of their present for their future selves with a time capsule.
What You’ll Need:
- Shoebox, metal lunchbox or storage bin
- Markers, stickers and anything else for decorating
- A letter to their future selves — include grade in school, friends names, favorite
- hobbies, songs and more
- Trace their hand on a piece of paper
- Pictures (school picture, family photo, etc.)
- Piece of artwork they created
- A toy they’re ok parting with
- A newspaper clipping (or print one from online)
- Any other momentos
What You’ll Do:
Step 1. Create and gather mementos for the capsule.
Step 2. Place mementos in the container.
Step 3. Decorate the outside of the container and write the date it can be opened (typically years from now).
Step 4. Put it in a safe place. This could be inside the house or buried outside.
Step 5. Now wait until the date arrives (no peeking!).
Need help getting started? Here’s a great time capsule packet put together by Long Creations that you can download for free.
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102