Parent ResourcesPower of Play Blog
Sneak Preview! New Summer Experiences & Events
At Minnesota Children’s Museum, we believe summer is a special time. It’s a time for fun, for exploring, for family memory-making, and for learning in the most natural way possible – through play. This summer, we’ll have all that and more. We invite families to join us to Play BIG, Dream BIG and Think BIG this summer.
Our team is working hard to get the museum ready for summer, but we wanted to give you a sneak preview of what we have in store. Summer at Minnesota Children’s Museum is presented by Chase.
Special Summer Exhibits & Experiences
In addition to our plethora of fun-filled, heart-pumping, brain-building permanent exhibits, we’re planning a great lineup of special summer experiences that shine a spotlight on creative and critical thinking — important skills that help kids go far in school and life. Special summer exhibits and activities include:
- Rube Goldberg™: The World of Hilarious Invention Exhibit! – In this new exhibit, visitors activate wacky chain-reaction contraptions that use everyday objects to complete simple tasks in the most over complicated, inefficient and hilarious ways possible. Open from May 25 to Sept. 8. Presented locally by Comcast.
- Creativity Jam in the Target Gallery – The musical instruments currently in this gallery are moving outdoors for the summer to make way for a new experience. In a reimagined Creativity Jam kids will make their own adventure journal, express themselves through artwork, collaborate on an art installation and harness the power of daydreaming.
- Cosmic Junkyard in Imaginopolis – If you haven’t visited this experience yet, it’s a must! Visitors crawl through a black hole, build on a space satellite, play astronaut at the console of a spaceship bridge and decode alien messages.
- Making Machines in The Studio in the Target Gallery – Kids and families will use cardboard tubes, strings, tape and other simple materials to engineer machines such as pulleys, levers and catapults. This activity is made possible by Donaldson.
- Engineering & Design Challenges on The Landing – Kids will test theories and solve problems as they tackle a variety of engineering and design challenges in this new experience on The Landing.
Thinkers & Dreamers Showcase Series
Throughout the summer, we’ll celebrate creativity and innovation through special showcase events where visitors can meet young inventors and entrepreneurs, see performers and take part in other activities. These events are included in the price of museum admission. Here’s the schedule.
- June 22 – Inventors & Innovation
- July 13 – Creativity
- Aug. 3 – Engineering & Design
More details to come soon!
Celebrate Creativity Street Fest
All are welcome to join us for an outdoor street fest right outside the museum on Saturday, July 13 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event will feature performers and activities and is free to anyone who wants to attend. This event is made possible by Chase.
Think Big Workshops
Visitors can choose from a number of hands-on workshops that empower them to explore concepts in STEM and flex their creativity and problem-solving skills. We’re still working on the specifics, but we’re thinking of a slime workshop, puzzle adventure and more!
Details coming soon.
Get ready to Play BIG this summer!
Thank you to our sponsors!
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102