Parent ResourcesPower of Play Blog
Winter Break = Family Fun at Minnesota Children’s Museum
Are you looking for things to do with your kids over winter break? Look no further! A trip to Minnesota Children’s Museum offers something for your whole family. It lets everyone burn off energy, make memories and have loads of fun.
When you visit the museum, you can explore all our greatest hits such as a four-story climber and giant spiral slide, vibrant pretend town, toddler wonderland, wacky car wash and laser maze. We also have several temporary experiences and events that you won’t want to miss.
Curious GeorgeTM: Let’s Get Curious! (Open Through Jan. 5)
Visitors climb into the imaginative world of Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat in this adventurous exhibit. They problem solve their way through pint-sized STEM experiences and take part in activities modeled after Curious George’s own adventures.
- Construct structures with different materials and machines
- Experiment with physics and engineering in a round of mini golf
- Use wind power to move whirligigs, windmills, windsocks and wind chimes
- Sort, weigh and count fruit and vegetables at the produce stand
- Pilot a space adventure in a rollicking rocket
- And more!
This exhibit is locally sponsored by New Horizon Academy.
The Play of Painting in The Studio (Open Through January)
During a visit to our makerspace on the fourth floor, visitors get to choose between several activities to create their own masterpieces:
- Acrylics and large easel painting at the walls
- Watercolors on watercolor paper at the tables
- Watercolors spin art on a record player turn table (on certain days only)
Tip: Dress for a mess! Acrylics and watercolors we are using are not washable. Paint shirts are available.
Noodle World (Open Through Mid-May)
Enter a world made entirely of pool noodles. This fun, colorful exhibit allows kids to build creative and critical thinking skills as they take part in all sort of quirky activities.
- Push through a giant noodle hedge to enter the exhibit
- Experiment and problem-solve at a game of Whack-A-Noodle
- Play and explore in a pool full of noodles
- Hide out in a giant noodle structure
- Sort noodles and create patterns
- Work together to fill an overhead container with noodles and enjoy as they fall from the sky
Ball-o-rama on The Landing (Through Mid-April)
Race, race, roll and have a ball playing with energy and motion in Ball-o-rama! This exhibit puts ball-racing challenges into the hands of visitors and nurtures critical thinking, self-control and collaboration.
New Year’s Eve Sparklerama Party
Ring in the New Year with us at our Sparklerama Party on Monday, Dec. 31 from 6 to 9 p.m. This fun-filled night includes live music, art projects, light refreshments and more. Get your tickets today.
Winter Break Hours
We have extended our weekday hours to give families more time to play in the museum over break.
- Monday, Dec. 23: CLOSED
- Tuesday, Dec. 24: CLOSED
- Wednesday, Dec. 25: CLOSED
- Thursday, Dec. 26: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 27: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 28: 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 29: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 30: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 2: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 3, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 5, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
We wish you a wonderful time together over Winter Break and hope you’ll join us for some family fun!
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102