Parent ResourcesPower of Play Blog
Recycle, Repurpose, Reinvent in The Studio
We call this experience “Upcycle/Recycle” and it empowers kids and families to take something old, worn or repurposed and turn it into something new.
What Kids Are Learning
In Upcycle/Recycle, kids have fun building projects and structures while also building lifelong skills – creative thinking, coordination, collaboration and self-control – that will serve them well in school and beyond. Through designing, tinkering, constructing and reinventing in this experience, kids solve problems, experiment, expand on past knowledge and grow their confidence.
Materials & Tools Change
Materials and tools will change over the course of this experience, as different recycled materials become available. Here are the various materials we have planned:
- Cardboard – Build, construct, engineer and tinker with cardboard, fasteners and tape to contribute to a growing cardboard city. This cardboard city is a collaboration so creations during this time will stay and become part of the vibrant, changing city.
- Deconstruction – Tinker and take apart toys and small appliances like old printers, typewriters, radios and electronics. Thanks to the generosity of The Donaldson Foundation for making this deconstruction experience possible.
- Metal – Find a new use for a spoon, a key, a pie tin and more by bending, stamping and pounding these materials into new shapes using rubber mallets, pliers, vices and other tools.
- Fabric – Use recycled and deconstructed scraps of fabric and clothing (a pocket for example!) to make something new. Tools include scissors, needles, a glue gun and more.
An Eco-Conscience Teaching Artist Enhances the Experience
Christopher Lutter-Gardella, an eco-conscious sculptor and teaching artist, will be in The Studio several days throughout the Upcycle/Recycle experience to work alongside visitors to construct unique creations. Christopher will be here on the following days:
- Wednesday, Nov. 7, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 9, 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 12, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 9, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, Jan 11, 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
The Upcycle/Recycle experience will be here through early January 2019. Take advantage of this opportunity to have fun as a family building and creating something new out of old, worn items. BONUS: You’ll feel good knowing that you’re empowering your child to think critically, solve problems and gain confidence along the way.
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102