Minnesota Children’s Museum Announces 2019-2020 Special Exhibit Schedule
Museum partners with Aardman to create new exhibit titled Wallace & GromitTM and Shaun the SheepTM: Shear Genius!
St. Paul, Minn., Sept. 19, 2019 – Families will climb into the adventurous world of Curious GeorgeTM, experiment with speed and performance with Hot WheelsTM, and solve problems in a brand new exhibit based on the Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep TV series during the 2019-2020 lineup of special exhibits at Minnesota Children’s Museum.
The museum recently partnered with Aardman, the studio behind Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep, to develop the Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep: Shear Genius! exhibit that will debut at Minnesota Children’s Museum in summer 2020. This is the first time Aardman’s animated worlds will be brought to life in a North American touring exhibit.
The 2019-2020 special exhibits are free for members and included with regular museum admission – no extra fee required.
Curious GeorgeTM: Let’s Get Curious!
Sunday, Sept. 28, 2019 – Sunday, Jan. 5, 2020
Creator: Minnesota Children’s Museum
Visitors will climb into the imaginative world of Curious George and the Man with the Yellow Hat in this adventurous exhibit. They’ll problem solve their way through pint-sized STEM experiences and take part in activities modeled after Curious George’s own adventures.
- Construct structures with different materials and machines
- Experiment with physics and engineering in a round of mini golf
- Use wind power to move whirligigs, windmills, windsocks and wind chimes
- Sort, weigh and count fruit and vegetables at the produce stand
- Pilot a space adventure in a rollicking rocket
- And more!
This exhibit is locally sponsored by New Horizon Academy.
Photo Credit: Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
Hot WheelsTM: Race to WinTM
Dates: Sunday, Jan. 18, 2020 – Sunday, May 10, 2020
Creator: Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
Visitors will get a behind-the-scenes look at the world of car racing and investigate the scientific process for designing super-fast cars in this thrilling exhibit.
- Compete to see who has the fastest car at the track table
- Test tire-changing speed in the Pit Stop Challenge
- Experience the unique sounds of different racecar engines
- Experiment to see how car design affects speed and performance
- Race down a Hot Wheels track and making a jump without crashing
- And more!
Wallace & GromitTM and Shaun the SheepTM: Shear Genius!
Dates: Summer 2020
Creator: Minnesota Children’s Museum with Aardman
In this hands-on exhibit, visitors will step into the environments of Wallace & Gromit and Shaun the Sheep – 62 West Wallaby Street and Mossy Bottom Farm – to explore the contraptions, antics and escapades of Wallace, Gromit, Shaun and other familiar Aardman characters through dramatic play and interactive opportunities.
Components and activities in the exhibit will encourage kids to playfully solve and talk about problems, and build confidence and resilience along the way.
- Explore and use iconic inventions at 62 West Wallaby St. (Wallace & Gromit’s home)
- Blast off in Wallace’s bright orange rocket
- Create and figure out how things work in Wallace’s workshop
- Get moving and tend to plush sheep at Mossy Bottom Farm, the home of Shaun the Sheep
- Mix up Bitzer’s face to create new facial expressions
- See how different sheep (and people!) solve problems in different ways
- Create a stop motion animation using materials found in the scrap heap
About Minnesota Children’s Museum
Minnesota Children’s Museum sparks children’s learning through play. The museum, a nonprofit organization, serves more than 550,000 visitors each year at its locations in St. Paul and Rochester. Through interactive exhibits and programs, the museum provides open-ended, self-directed experiences that cultivate critical thinking, creativity, confidence and other lifelong skills. The museum serves as a resource for parents to advance their children’s playful learning in the museum and beyond. Minnesota Children’s Museum is a leading producer of hands-on rental exhibits for children’s museums and discovery centers. Visit mcm.org for more information.
Minnesota Children’s Museum
Director of Strategic Communications
HOT WHEELS and associated trademarks and trade dress are owned by, and used under license from, Mattel. © 2019 Mattel. All Rights Reserved.
© and TM Aardman Animations Ltd 2019. All Rights Reserved