Play Activity Idea: Make Fizzy Bubbles
Learn about basic chemical reactions with this easy and entertaining science experiment. Three simple ingredients combine to create a surprising and colorful bubbly reaction.
What You’ll Need
- Baking Soda
- White vinegar
- Food coloring
- Baking dish or rimmed baking sheet (Tip: Use a disposable baking pan for easy cleanup)
- Small syringe or medicine dropper
- Sprinkle the baking soda in an even layer over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Drip drops of food coloring all over the baking soda.
- Using the dropper or syringe, squirt the vinegar over the food coloring and watch the bubbles come to life!
Take the Fun Further
- Mix different drops of food coloring to see what colors you can create. Or drop the food coloring in a pattern.
- Listen to the sound of the bubbles and try to recreate it using your mouth.
- Pretend you are the bubbly reaction and move your body like the bubbles erupting.
- Once all of the food coloring drops have fizzed, pour the remaining vinegar into the pan to make one giant bubble eruption.