Play Activity Idea: Make Fizzy Bubbles
Learn about basic chemical reactions with this easy and entertaining science experiment. Three simple ingredients combine to create a surprising and colorful bubbly reaction.
What You’ll Need
- Baking Soda
- White vinegar
- Food coloring
- Baking dish or rimmed baking sheet (Tip: Use a disposable baking pan for easy cleanup)
- Small syringe or medicine dropper
- Sprinkle the baking soda in an even layer over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Drip drops of food coloring all over the baking soda.
- Using the dropper or syringe, squirt the vinegar over the food coloring and watch the bubbles come to life!
Take the Fun Further
- Mix different drops of food coloring to see what colors you can create. Or drop the food coloring in a pattern.
- Listen to the sound of the bubbles and try to recreate it using your mouth.
- Pretend you are the bubbly reaction and move your body like the bubbles erupting.
- Once all of the food coloring drops have fizzed, pour the remaining vinegar into the pan to make one giant bubble eruption.
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102