Make Your Own Projectors & Shadow Show
Here’s What You Need:
- Empty toilet paper rolls
- Clear plastic wrap
- Rubber bands
- Small flashlight or iphone flashlight
Tip: If you don’t have stickers, you can cut out a shape in a small square of cardboard.
Here’s What You Do:
- Place plastic wrap over one end of the toilet paper roll and rubber band in place
- Place a sticker in the middle of the plastic wrap
- Turn off the lights!
- Shine a flashlight at the open end of the roll and point the projector towards a wall or ceiling
- Now, create a shadow show!
Note: If you’re using cardboard with cutout shapes instead of stickers, hold or glue the cardboard to the end of roll. No plastic wrap needed.
- Questions are often more helpful than answers. When a child asks, “How do I do this?” try responding, “How do you think it works?” or “What do you want to try first?”
- Add plot twists into a child’s play. Like “What would happen if___?” The lights went out? A gorilla showed up? Everyone had wings? You get the idea.
- Try focusing more on the way a child is playing — the process and the doing — and less on the outcome. The magic of play happens during the journey.
The 7 Cs
- Creative Thinking
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102