Get creative and gain confidence while using a real tool and fun materials.
For Ages: 5 and up
What You Need
Tools and Materials
- Glue gun (Tip: look for “low temperature” glue guns)
- Glue sticks for glue gun
- Buttons, shells, feathers, cloth scraps, corks and other small craft items
- Popsicle sticks or toothpicks
- Cardboard, paper plate or tray to use as a base
What You Do
Step 1. Safety first. Tell your child not to touch the tip of the glue gun.
Step 2. Plug in the glue gun and lay out materials
Step 3. Let your child pick out materials
Step 5. Start gluing!
What Kids Learn
- Confidence → Willingness to try an “adult” tool
- Creative thinking → Using materials in surprising ways
- Critical thinking → Making a plan, analyzing results and changing course if things don’t work out at first
- Let your child lead the way and explore freely
- Focus on the process of creating, not the final outcome
- Guide your child as needed, but avoid taking over entirely
- Remember that the “right way” to approach this activity is the child’s way
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102