DIY Watercolor Paints
Mix science and art by making your own watercolor paints!
What You’ll Need:
- 8 tbsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- Food coloring
- Ice cube tray
What You’ll Do:
- Put the baking soda in a measuring cup
- Add vinegar (it will bubble up! After a few seconds…)
- Add corn syrup
- Add cornstarch
- Stir… keep stirring, the mixture hardens fast if you stop
- Pour mixture into an ice cube tray
- Drop food coloring into each of the cubes (start with just a drop or two at first – you can always add more).
- Set aside and let the paint harden over night.
- Enjoy painting!
Tip! Experiment with different combinations of colors to discover what certain mixtures make.
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102