Parent ResourcesPower of Play Blog
7 Great Ideas for Giving Experiences, not Stuff
Looking for a gift for a special family in your life? Consider bypassing the toy aisle and giving an experience instead.
Experiences bring families together to have fun, make memories and try something new. Plus, people who receive experiential gifts feel more connected to the gift giver than people who receive material items, according to research from the University of Pennsylvania.
There are lots of great experiences you can give. Here are seven experiential gift ideas for a family in the Twin Cities:
- Museum Membership. Give the gift of play to a family in your life with a gift membership to Minnesota Children’s Museum. They’ll get unlimited admission to the museum for an entire year as well as special discounts and other member perks.
- Fitness Membership & Programs. Stop into a YMCA Twin Cities location to buy gift certificates for memberships, swim lessons, sports classes and leagues, and day or overnight camp sessions.
- Theater Tickets. Give the gift of the theater. Both Stages Theater Company and Children’s Theater Company offer gift certificates to shows and other programs.
- Roller Derby. Want to give an action-packed gift? Consider giving tickets to a Minnesota Roller Derby bout. Kids under 9 are free.
- Yoga Classes. Yoga is great for all ages. At Blooma, you can buy gift cards for their classes which include prenatal, BYOB (Bring Your Own Baby), kids yoga and more.
- Minnesota State Parks. With a Minnesota State Parks gift card, you can give the gift of a Minnesota State Parks permit, camping, canoeing, paddleboarding, snowtube rentals and more.
- Family Cooking Classes. Know a family that enjoys cooking together? Way Cool Cooking School offers family cooking classes for parents and kids.
Be an experiential gift giver this holiday season! No wrapping or batteries are required and they’ll make memories that will last a lifetime.
Sign up for the Power of Play email newsletter for tips, info and inspiration about making play a priority for your family.
10 West Seventh Street
St. Paul, MN 55102